Gonzo Journalism was a type of reporting coined by Hunter S Thompson. It involves the reporter to invest himself heavily in the story. Including taking part in what the story is about instead of just being a fly on the wall. But, is this really a good technique.
I'm a huge fan of Hunter S Thompson, I've read 5 books by him and watched his documentary multiple times. He was what influenced me to start journalism. But, his methods don't always work well. If a reporter joins in on what he is reporting on, he is bound to miss certain important elements. The reporter is open to distraction more so than if he were just in the press box watching over the place.
Another thing is the story tends to become less about the actual story and more about the reporter. It becomes the reporters reaction and activities during the situation. And, while I find this incredibly interesting myself, others might be turned off by it or at the very least just consider it an opinion piece.
Other than opinion pieces, does anyone actually still use this form of journalism today?
No comments:
Post a Comment