Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Did I just hear him correctly?

Is it okay to print what was overheard but isn't in an interview? Should that be allowed? Is there a moral obligation not to report it because you didn't get their consent? Or is there a moral obligation to report on it if it is potentially harmful?
Personally I would be okay with printing what I overheard. I know that's probably wrong, but sometimes you can get some vital and important information when someone doesn't know someone else is listening. I haven't yet because I know it's probably against the rules, but I'm saying that it would probably be a good resource if someone wont talk with you directly.
I guess the moral implications are there though. People would not feel comfortable with big brother watching over their shoulder all the time recording what they say.
Technically isn't reporting and quoting on a speaker doing exactly this though? You didn't ask for their consent to quote and wright down what they said.

No comments:

Post a Comment