Sunday, May 5, 2013

People can be dicks

When I was covering a women's lacrosse game everyone I interacted with was an ass to me. They all acted like they were upset I was there and I felt repulsed to be having to interview and rely on them.
The team I was covering had just lost the game and it was a close match, but damn don't take it all out on me. And even questions I was asking meaning to be impartial and matter-of-factly they bit my goddamn head off for. "Well I think we played great and it wasn't a real loss!"
It was real loss! The scoreboard says so! Don't take your anger out on me.
But, this experience has given me a valuable lesson: timing is everything. Interviewing someone at a certain time can have their emotions running in completely different directions than at another time. Sometimes that can be good to cover. Other times people can be dicks to you for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment